A balanced diet is necessary for aiding different functions of the body. Here are three recipes specifically for your gut, liver and kidneys.
A feature of good health is a healthy diet. Ideally, your diet should be balanced and include various nutrients that ensure the appropriate functioning of the entire body. People’s bodies, however, are different and we may all experience different health problems. Most diets today are geared towards heart health because of the vast number of heart-related problems caused by unhealthy diets. But not everyone experiences problems related to the heart. Nutrients target various bodily functions and we must curate diets suited for our unique problems. A healthy diet can help remedy a variety of health problems. We discuss three recipes to naturally heal the gut, liver and kidneys.
Gut: Broccoli and Spinach Broth
IMAGE COURTESY: https://www.pexels.com/@javier-disabato-2612346
Gut health is tied to the immune system, hormones and psychological processes. Our gut contains microorganisms and healthy bacteria that aid the digestive process. A diet rich in fiber, antioxidants and vitamins can help heal your gut. This broccoli and spinach broth is a fiber-rich recipe with probiotic ingredients that can help improve gut health. Drink it on its own or add to dishes like pasta or vegetables for added flavor.What you will need:
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- ½ a red onion, chopped
- ½ cup plant-based milk
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A stalk of cilantro, chopped
- In a deep pan, heat olive oil over medium flame for a minute. Add the chopped onion and garlic and saute till the onion is translucent.
- Add broccoli and water to the pan and boil. Cover the pan and let the mixture cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the spinach and milk and stir well.
- Add pepper and salt to taste and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor and blend until it’s smooth.
- If the mixture is too thin, boil it in the pan for a few minutes or add cornflour to it.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
- Broccoli is antioxidant-rich and high in fiber both of which are crucial in improving gut health. The vegetable also reduces inflammation and has barrier functions to protect against a leaky gut.
- Spinach: Green leafy vegetables are high in vitamins like A, C and K as well as minerals like magnesium and manganese.
- Garlic is high in inulin which promotes the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut.
- Onion contains probiotics and fiber which are essential for the regular functioning of the gut.
Liver: Turmeric Smoothie
IMAGE COURTESY: https://www.pexels.com/@element5
Supporting our organ’s health by eating a balanced diet on a daily basis, which is rich in vitamins and minerals is essential to good health. Turmeric is rich in antioxidants and is a natural spice that can help support your liver health.
What you will need:
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ cup papaya, sliced
- ½ cup raspberries
- ½ carrot, chopped
- A handful of walnuts
- ¼ cup spinach, chopped
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour in a tall glass and enjoy
- Turmeric is known to improve liver function due to its antioxidant properties. Studies prove that it can stop the liver from being damaged by toxins.
- Papaya contains antioxidants and carotenoids which fight free radicals and also reduces oxidative stress hence detoxifying the liver.
- Walnuts contain omega-3 which can help get rid of ammonia and hence aiding the detoxification process. The polyphenols present in walnuts also help reduce oxidative stress.
Kidneys: Cabbage Stir-Fry Salad
IMAGE COURTESY: https://www.pexels.com/@quang-nguyen-vinh-222549
Kidneys are important for the release of toxins from the body. For kidney health, you must incorporate foods low in sodium, potassium and phosphorus in your diet and increase your vitamin and fiber intake. Fruits and vegetables are ideal for kidney patients. A stir fry salad is a tastier alternative to your regular cold salad. This vegetable-rich recipe is full of ingredients that improve kidney function and takes less than 10 minutes to prepare.
What you will need:
- 5 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups red cabbage
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ a carrot
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Low sodium salt
- Cut the carrot and bell pepper into thin long slices.
- In a large pan, pour the oil and add the mustard seeds on medium heat. As the seeds, crackle, add the red and green cabbage and toss till they are soft.
- Add the bell pepper and carrot and saute the mixture for one minute.
- Transfer them to a large bowl and add lemon juice and raisins.
- Add salt to taste.
- Vegetables: Cabbage, carrots and red bell peppers are considered the most nutritious foods for kidney patients due to their low sodium and potassium content. They contain vitamins A, C, K and B6 as well as folic acid and fiber.
- Cabbage is rich in phytonutrients which fight free radicals
- Red bell peppers contain the antioxidant lycopene which has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Carrots contain omega-3 fatty acids which are anti-inflammatory.
Olive oil is low in sodium and potassium and contains oleic acid- also an anti-inflammatory fatty acid. They also contain polyphenols and antioxidants which aid the body’s oxidation process.
FEATURED IMAGE COURTESY: https://www.pexels.com/search/vegetables/?orientation=landscape