Watermelon is typically a summer fruit but you can still find some delicious late season melons at this time of the year.
This large fruit is so refreshing and will hydrate you on even the chilliest, driest day.
Why is watermelon so good? Apart from it being incredibly delicious, it’s naturally soothing to your stomach.
Watermelon is a lightly sweet treat and for me (with a low glycemic load) and I don’t need to add the optional sugar but of course it depends on how sweet the watermelon is and how sweet you like things.
It can help reduce body inflammation, reduce your muscle soreness and DOMs, lower your blood pressure, and because of it’s high fiber count provides strong support for your digestion.
Paired with tasty mint, another organic stomach soother, this is just the thing when you’re feeling unwell or sluggish. It’s also perfect when you need that delicious pick-me-up or anytime drink.
Why not have a glass with a big bowl of gut salad for a hearty, healthy, and digestion friendly meal.
- 6 cups watermelon juice
- 3 Tbsps coconut palm sugar (completely optional)
- ½ cup boiling water
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (approx 2 medium lemons)
- 5-6 mint sprigs
- 2 cups club soda or sparkling water
- Ice and lemon slices
- To make the fresh watermelon juice, put chunks of watermelon into a high speed blender and blend on full. You can also use a blender or food processor but be aware you might need to strain out any larger bits of watermelon from the juice.
- In a measuring jug, stir the coconut palm sugar into the boiling water until dissolved. Let stand to cool for a few minutes. (this is the optional step)
- Combine sugar water and watermelon juice in a large jug. Add the lemon juice and fresh mint. Cover and set in the fridge for 8 hours or overnight.
- To serve, top up the juice with the club soda or sparkling water, add ice and fresh lemon slices. Enjoy!