I absolutely love naan bread. For me, it’s the best part of a healthy Indian meal because it just soaks up all the delicious flavor of the curry sauce.
This recipe is perfect if you’re watching your carb intake, which let’s be fair if you have any kind of issues with your gut health, you should be! What makes these gluten free, low carb, and paleo friendly delights worthy? Every ingredient included is packed full of gut healing power.
First of all, tapioca flour is by and far the best starch out there for healing your gut. This particular starch feeds the friendly bacteria in your gut and can help soothe symptoms from IBS, colitis, inflammation, and allergies. But if you don’t have any tapioca on hand, arrowroot flour is a great second choice. It’s naturally gluten-free, high in fiber, can help relieve constipation or diarrhea, and can even help regulate your blood sugar. Almond flour packs a huge nutritional punch and is full of gut healthy dietary fiber. Then you add in the rich, creamy coconut milk, which sounds like it would be heavy on the stomach, but is actually a great gut soother and digestion booster. Plus, if you decide to use the nutritionally rich ghee, you’ll have the added benefits of increased digestion and reduced stomach irritation.
Have you ever heard of a more delectable gut healthy food? I don’t think I have. I’ll be pairing these naans with a heart-healthy vegetable curry and some basmati rice.
- ½ cup tapioca or arrowroot flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 cup canned full-fat coconut milk
- Salt (optional)
- Ghee (optional)
- Mix together the flours, coconut milk, and salt until a nice, smooth batter forms.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. If you’re not using a nonstick pan you’ll need to use a bit of oil or ghee to make sure your naan doesn’t stick.
- For large naans, separate the batter in half, or this can make up to six smaller naans breads.
- Ladle the batter onto the pan; when it puffs up and starts to bubble, flip it over and cook about the same amount of time.
- (Optional step) Slather your naan with delicious, gut healthy ghee.
- Eat with delicious curry!